St John Brigade
St John Brigade is the uniformed branch of St John Singapore, which provides First Aid and ambulance services, as well as youth development through our Cadet programme.
The Brigade was first formed in 1938 with the objectives of combining individual efforts for the public good:
- To provide opportunities of meeting for ambulance or nursing practice;
- To render First Aid to the sick and wounded on public occasions;
- To supplement the public medical services in times of necessity;
- To train civilians in ambulance transport duties;
- To develop and promote every means of rendering aid to the sick and wounded.
Since then, the Brigade has been at the service of Singapore and Singaporeans at various national and community events, and was also involved in many key moments of our nation’s history, including the Second World War, the Bukit Ho Swee fire of 1961, and the collapse of the Hotel New World in 1986.
Today, the Brigade continues to contribute actively to the medical needs of the community through our Cadet programme, as well as our many adult volunteers. You will see us in our familiar black-and-white at National Day Parades, Chingay, F1 Grand Prix, and other major national and community events.
Want to join as a cadet or a badger? Find out more.
Want to help? Check out the various volunteer opportunities available.
Need First Aid coverage for your event? Request for First Aid Public Duties.